Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement
Directrice de Recherche CNRS
Study of past climate variability and ocean circulation, based on the acquisition and interpretation of deep-sea sediment records. This includes measuring and interpreting the oxygen and carbon isotopic ratio, and trace element content of planktonic and benthic foraminifera, as well as developing chronologies common to ice cores and deep-sea climate records.
2011: Promoted Directrice de Recherche CNRS (French national contest)
1997: Promoted First Class Research Scientist at CNRS
1995: Hired as full time Research Scientist at CNRS (French national contest)
1992-95: PhD grant at the Laboratoire de Modélisation du Climat et de l’Environnement, France
1991-92: Research Assistant at the University of California, Santa Barbara, California
1989-91: Research Assistant at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado
Education and awards
2008: Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches, Université de Versailles Saint Quentin
2003: 2003 CNRS Bronze Medal
1995: PhD in Environmental Sciences from l’Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB), Belgium. Thesis title: “Modeling CO2 exchange between the biosphere and the atmosphere in tundra ecosystems”
1991: Holder of a “NASA Graduate Student Fellowship in Global Change Research”
1989: Engineer specialized in Physics, Ecole Polytechnique, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgique.
2014-2019 Principal Investigator of the ERC project ACCLIMATE (Elucidating the Causes and Effects of Atlantic Circulation Changes through Model-Data Integration)
2012-2015 Coordinator of the French LEFE project ACCENT (Atlantic Circulation – Climate interactions)
2007-2011 Responsible of the French contribution to the ESF EuroMARC research project “RETRO (Response of tropical Atlantic surface and intermediate waters to changes in the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation)” associating Norway, France, Germany and the Netherlands
2008- Constitution with M. Siddall and W. Thompson of the international PAGES PALSEA (PALeo-constraints on SEA-level rise) working group in order to prepare IPCC Assessment Report 5
2005-2008 Responsible of the marine contribution to the European research project “EPICA-MIS (Enhanced Palaeoreconstruction and Integrated Climate Analysis through Marine and Ice core Studies)”
2002- Initiation, with R. Schneider, M. Kucera and M. Weinelt, of the MARGO (Multiproxy Approach for the Reconstruction of the Glacial Ocean surface) project in order to reevaluate the CLIMAP estimates of sea surface conditions at the last glacial maximum.
2000-2004 In charge of LSCE contribution to the European project "POP (Pole-Ocean-Pole: global stratigraphy for millenial climate variability)"
1998-2001 Responsible of the marine contribution to the Programme National d’Etude de la Dynamique du Climat "Climatic variability over the last four climatic cycles"
Feb-March 2016: Chief Scientist of the MD203-ACCLIMATE coring cruise on board R/V Marion Dufresne.
Sept 2012: Participant in the Storfjorden 2012 cruise on board the Albarquel.
May-June 2012: Participant in the MONOPOL cruise on board R/V Marion Dufresne.
October 2009: Chief scientist of Images RETRO-2 cruise on board R/V Marion Dufresne.
May-June 2008: Chief scientist of Images RETRO cruise on board R/V Marion Dufresne.
Jan-Feb 2007: Principal investigator of SOUC on board R/V Marion Dufresne.
Jan-Feb 2004: Co-chief scientist with Dr. E. Michel of VIGO on board R/V Marion Dufresne.
June 2002: Principal investigator of LSCE cores on IMAGES VIII cruise MONA on board R/V Marion Dufresne.
June 2001: Principal investigator of LSCE cores on IMAGES VII cruise WEPAMA on board R/V Marion Dufresne.
Sept 1999: Participant in the IMAGES V cruise GINNA on board R/V Marion Dufresne.
• The ACCLIMATE coring cruise (March 2016) has been the opportunity to develop outreach activities, including a website (http://www.sea.acclimateproject.eu/) targeted at schools (primary, middle and high schools) and the general public. The website is designed to remain a resource for knowledge transfer towards schools, teachers and the general public.
• 2 to 5 talks in schools and to the general public every year
• Lecture to mid- and high-school science teachers “Ocean circulation and climate”, in the framework of national training days, November 2011
• Lecture to the organizers and guides of the exhibition “Océan, Climat et Nous” at Cité des Sciences, April 2001-June 2012, and answers to the questions of the public through the exhibition web portal
• Contribution to teaching material http://www.cnrs.fr/enquete_aux_poles (2008)
• Member of the scientific committee of “Marine Sciences for Society” (http://www.marine-sciences-for-society.org/) since 2007
• Filmed interview in a series of filmed portraits of young scientists, October 2005, available at http://videotheque.cnrs.fr/index.php?urlaction=doc&id_doc=1738
• Supervisor of L. Missiaen PhD, University Versailles St-Quentin-en-Yvelines, started in September 2015.
• Supervisor of P. Burckel PhD, University Versailles St-Quentin-en-Yvelines, 2011-2014.
• Supervisor of N. Vazquez Riveiros PhD, University Paris XI, 2007-2010, currently postdoctoral research fellow at Cambridge University, UK.
• Co-supervisor of A. Tisserand PhD, University of Bergen, Norway, 2007-2012.
• Co-supervisor of F. Parrenin PhD, University of Grenoble I, 1998-2002.
• Co-supervisor of F. Lemoine PhD thesis, University Paris XI, 1995-1998.
• Supervisor of L. Missiaen Master 2 thesis, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, June 2015.
• Supervisor of A. Guihéneuf Licence 3 thesis, Ecole Normale Supérieure, June 2011.
• Supervisor of C. Le Bras Master 2 thesis, Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin, February-June 2010.
• Supervisor of D. Pickel Master 1 thesis, University Paris XI, May-June 2007.
• Co-supervisor of G. Lemeur Master thesis, University of Plymouth, January-September 2005.
• Co-supervisor of J. Etourneau Master thesis, University of Bordeaux I, January-June 2004.
Jan. 2014 Master SGE, “Natural climatic variability” and “Marine sediment records”, University Paris VII, France
June 2012 Floating University aboard R/V Marion Dufresne, Master and PhD level, "La datation des sédiments marins"
Jan. 2011 Master SGE, “Natural climatic variability” and “Marine and ice core records”, University Paris VII, France
Oct. 2008 Marie Curie RTN NICE school, “Marine records of past climatic variability” and “Timing issues in marine and ice core records”, Poznan, Poland
Nov. 2007 Master 2 ENVOLH, “Marine sediment dating techniques”, University of Bordeaux I, France
Nov. 2005 Marie Curie RTN PROPER school, “Consistent dating of marine and ice cores”, Gif-sur-Yvette, France
Oct. 2004 Master in Environmental Studies, “The climate system” and “Climatic variability”, University of Moncton, Canada
June 2003 Grand Combin Summer School course XI, “Marine records of past climatic variability”, Val d’Aoste, Italy
Jan. 2002/2003 European Research Courses on Atmospheres, “Introduction to paleoceanography”, Grenoble, France
Oct. 1996/1999/2001 Master of Geology, Geochemistry and Geophysics, “Sea surface temperature reconstruction methods”, University Paris XI, France